New years resolutions often fail because a goal is a lifestyle not a statement. To make a successful change in your lifestyle it has to become habit. So how long does it take for a habit to form? A study published in the European Journal of Social Psychology suggests that on average it takes 66 days, while this seems to be true Author of Breaking Habits, Making Habits, Jeremy Dean says it’s more realistic to understand that habits have variables, “It depends on the habit you chose and your personality,” he says.
For example, choosing to drink water every day is much easier to achieve vs losing 50 pounds which takes greater dedication. Ultimately, any goal takes repetition and dedication and rightfully so if you want to maintain and build upon it. A resolution should never be just a statement, to successfully achieve and maintain our goals it is the work we put into it that will make change happen.
Below is a worksheet I put together to help you organize your goals for this year! I suggest copy and pasting it into a word document and fill out then hang it up on your wall so you can see it every day. Get creative with your goals, get a planner, draw diagrams, do what works for you to organize your thoughts on paper!
Also, here are some more things you can do everyday to make sure your goals become a life style:
New Years Resolution Guide
- What is your resolution? (Tip: make your goals realistic and something you know you can maintain. If you have more than one goal, do a sheet for all of them)
2. What do you need to do to achieve that goal?
3. What is something small you can do to include this goal into your daily life? (Ex. daily affirmations, vision board, workout 10 min day, reminders in your phone, get a buddy to help you etc.)
4. What is something bigger? (Meal plan prep, work out 5 days a week, get a gym membership etc.)
5. Write out what you can do each day of the week to help keep this goal in check.
6. How does a person who already achieve this goal act? (Hint: you should act this way always!)
7. What will this goal do for you?
8. What are you going to do when you feel like giving up? (For example, If I don’t feel like working out then I will walk for 10 minutes instead– whatever it is you will do to either motivate you do to it or at least keep in line with your goal)