You can do anything you set your mind too. The only obstacle in life is you telling yourself that you cannot do something. Your mind is a powerful thing and once you realize that you can learn to use it to your advantage.
The Pygmalion Effect
Imagine when you are having a bad day everything seems to go wrong, but when you are
having a good day everything goes right. A self-fulfilling prophecy is in essence what The Pygmalion Effect is. It shows us that what we are told or think is what we believe. So if you keep telling yourself that you are going to fail you are more likely to fail, similarly if you say you will succeed you are more likely to succeed.
A case study in 1996 was held in an elementary school to test if The Pygmalion Effect held true. Students had to take an IQ test. The teachers were told that a group of students had scored above average and they showed great promise for the future. (While in reality these students did not score much different than the others.)
Through the year the gifted students were called on more and were encouraged more while the other students were not as much. At the end of the year the gifted students scored higher than the other students and had more confidence.
Thus proving that being encouraged by yourself and others really makes you achieve your goals. Understanding The Pygmalion Effect is important because if you know how to put yourself in a positive mind-set you can achieve your dreams.
How to harness the power of the Pygmalion Effect
- Put together a list of your favorite quotes and keep them somewhere you can see them– reminding yourself with inspirational quotes will get you thinking more positively.
- Make a list of positive traits about yourself, save it somewhere and whenever you need a boost take it out and remind yourself how lucky you are!
- Compliment someone else– encouraging someone else not only causes them to feel better about themselves but it also makes you feel good because you made someone happy!
- Workout– working out releases positive endorphins and will get you in a good mood. Good mood= positive thoughts.
- Dress for success– take time into getting ready for your day, wear your favorite outfit and do your hair. When you look good you feel good.
The goal is to get your-self in a positive mind frame. Your mind is a very powerful thing. You are the only person standing in the way of what you want. Comment and share what you think about the power of positive thinking!